Monday, April 17, 2017

Fin


We’re finally done! After nine months of reading, researching, writing, developing, editing, and preparing, we all made it through this difficult yet rewarding process (even if there were times in which we thought that we wouldn’t). The last two years in this AP Capstone program have truly been a transformative process which helped so much in developing my ability to critically think, analyze, and organize, as well as for more importantly proving to myself what I can accomplish.

When I first began in AP Seminar two years ago, I struggled with the workload and the expectations that were set for me. Although I had experience writing papers, I had never attempted to do anything remotely close to what a seminar paper was. I had difficulty managing my time when given large assignments in that class, and so I think the quality of my work suffered as a result. As the year progressed though, I think I adapted to the class and learned from my mistakes so that towards the end of the year, I did not have as much difficulty as before. I learned to really take advantage of the assignments we did early in the project process, such as the annotated bibs, and outlines, because I found out how much easier writing a paper was when I had that information. Also, as the year progressed, I think that I also developed the critical thinking and organizational skills that made assignments a lot easier as well. That being said, I struggled throughout the year with the amount of work that was required. Although part of it was my fault, I remember times feeling frustrated and overwhelmed with the class, considering everything else that is going on junior year.

Although I was hesitant about taking AP Research, after the difficulty I had in AP Seminar, I am ultimately glad that I chose to take the class, and am so proud of what I was able to accomplish as a result. While a lot of Seminar was spent in frustration as I tried to adapt to the class, I think that Research was a lot more enjoyable, even if it required more work. The class was certainly stressful at times, especially when big deadlines were approaching, but I think that the freedom I was given to choose my topic really made everything worthwhile. Being that BASIS has been a huge part of my life for the last 8 years, not only did I maintain my interest throughout the entire process, but I feel like this project was almost retribution to all of the positive things that BASIS has done for me. Even though BASIS has its flaws (which I made sure to point out in front of the CEO), I think that it created and molded the most capable, competent version of myself. There were many late nights, lots of caffeine, and maybe a couple tears along the way, but I feel as if my project was an appropriate conclusion to my time at this school. Even though I will have bittersweet memories (and maybe nightmares) about this place, there is no denying the BASIS effect, and how it turned a nerdy little kid with a bad haircut and glasses into a college-bound young adult capable of conducting meaningful, independent research.

As I reflect back on AP Capstone, and my time at BASIS as a whole, I acknowledge the opportunities I was given. Despite the negativity I may have felt, this is my ode to Seminar, Research, and BASIS as a whole. It has been a challenging, frustrating experience, but a worthwhile one nonetheless. I hope you all enjoyed my journey through AP Research. Signing off for the last time, this is Brian.

(621 Words)

4 comments:

  1. Brian -- I am very proud of the final presentation you gave. I know that it was a frustrating process, where you had to come in a multitude of time, but with hard work and the angel commonly known as Daphne, you made it happen. I think it was good that you honestly conveyed what you found about BASIS, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I hope that you can feel fulfilled after all of the work you've completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian! Fin. Yes. We are finally done!!! Haha, we never feel that it's rewarding until we're done with the entire thing, and we realize that we've put in so much time and effort doing all those things that you've talked about, that it's kind of mandatory we're proud of them, even though while we are doing the assignments, we just feel like it's not really necessary!! Hopefully you didn't freak out too much with the head of BASIS ed sitting right in front of you as you slightly (by slightly, I mean kind of really actually) talked about BASIS in a bad way. Late nights, lots of caffeine, etc. but you powered through!! And now we're done! Your ending was so beautiful, you will do great in college, with your negative sense of humor and nerdiness, I guess.

    Commenting on your post for the last time, Lucia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey BZ!!!

    Dude, I was soooo thoroughly impressed with your work ethic throughout the year... when I was thinking about faltering or just binge-watching, your persistence and proactive-ness before deadlines actually inspired me... and I'm not BS-ing. I'm being truthful.

    I'm sorry that AP Seminar wasn't the best for you, but I'm glad you pulled through AP Research, as we had a great time together (e.g., late night chats on google docs). Your project was really interesting, and I think you gave it your all, so congrats dude!

    We gotta ball it up the rest of the year and keep in touch!!! No matter what field you choose to study in college, your persistence and determination will take you places.

    Miss you bae <3
    Yash

    (126)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brian,
    Glad to hear that your research project has ended well and that you have been truly moved by the entire process. I also remember that Seminar struggle and that grind 2 years ago. Learning to take on the workload at such an early formative time of my education helped me grow as an individual too. I was also hesitant about Research, but I'm glad to hear you had a great time too!
    -
    Thank you,
    Ashwath V.

    ReplyDelete